Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When it rains. . .

WOW!! We had so much rain here this weekend. Northwest Indiana does not flood that often. This year we have had two major flooding issues. First this spring, but that did not really affect my neighborhood. However, this past weekend, it poured!! My yard was completely under water. My neighborhood is situated on the top of a hill. We live very close to a creek, but it is below the hill. The road leading to the creek was completely under water. Lake George in Hobart flooded so badly that it washed away 3rd Street (the water is not down yet, so it may to be as bad as that.) There is a huge sinkhole on 73rd Avenue, one of the major road ways in the Hobart/Merrillville area. There was so much rain that most Northwest Indiana schools were canceled yesterday, including all of the area colleges. Most schools are back in school today, but some are not. I do not think I have ever heard of our area schools closing because of flooding! We always seem to have to make up snow days, but this year we will have to make up a "flood" day also. The major highways around here are closed also. I 80/94 is closed from the IL/IN state line all the way to Chesterton (close to me.) That is about a 30 mile stretch (or more). I know that IN did not see the amount of rain and wind that Texas did, but man, this is a lot more rain than I am used to. The rain ended on Sunday night and the roads are still closed. What an awesome God we have. Yes, we got lots of rain, but it did not flood every where. My house and family are safe. My mother's house is safe, my friends and their families are safe. It could have been so much worse. I thank God that it was not any worse for the people that I know and care about.

No comments: